I had a draft of a new theme lying around for quite a long time, so I made few adjustments to it: made the code much longer and much less clean. But it seems to work.
Features of the new design include, but are not limited to:
- big letters in headings (big letters rock)
- even less images (none, except the two links to flickriver, smilies and images in posts)
- half-fixed-width half-fluid design (the design is fixed width, but the sidebar is fluid — works well for many different widths of browser (800px — the sidebar isn’t displayed, it’s accessible through scrolling; 1024px — sidebar in one column, 1280px — two columns, more px — more columns (it is capped at three columns)))
- emphasis on typography (lists, blockquotes, etc. are styled properly)
- lines vertically in synch (left column, middle column and sidebar)
- the old color scheme, I mostly like it and more importantly — couldn’t find a better one at the moment
- justified text (I’m still very unsure here — justified looks way better, but left-aligned is more readable)
Bugs of the new design include, but are not limited to:
- IE6 sometimes messes up the sidebar, not quite sure why
- Opera doesn’t keep lines in synch when there are smileys (and I thought I had the solution, sigh…)
- IE doesn’t align the comment date in the comment list (will look into that later)
Also, I spent ages dealing with various bugs in IE that caused things to disappear.
One such bug caused the sidebar not to appear (it was an absolutely positioned element next to a floated element — don’t ever do that), another sometimes caused titles to disappear (they were relatively positioned, now that they are static it seems ok, but I have no idea why). When repairing the sidebar, I had to move it in front of the actual content in the markup, which is wrong and I know it. I am sorry to all lynx/links users out there.
Bug reports, remarks and suggestions are welcome!